We spent all day Saturday building our first chicken tractor. And it turned out GREAT! I mean if it is still standing after 24 hours, that is success, right? I spent hours doing research and settled on a final design. (Yep, me. For those of you not familiar with me, this is a ridiculous concept to even comprehend. But so far, I think it is solid.). Eric let me take the reins and do it all. I made my overly simplified schematics, bought (some of the) supplies and recruited a building team (Eric). Everything went great… well there were some modifications to the designs. For example, I did not take into consideration the fact that we needed a door to have access to change their food and water. Had no idea how we were going to close the ends. You know, minor things. Here is the finished project. Not, ehhh?
The babies, now 6-7 weeks are outside and enjoying their new home. I have a feeling that it is slightly overwhelming, but so far so good. Like I said still, standing after 24 hours and no predators last night. Well, almost all the babies. Our Brahmas (the biggest breed we have) are quite a way from being completely feathered. And big… I have named the beast, “Methusala”.
The story of the babies is a sad, sad story, so I will spare you the details. But right now we have 25 chicks. This is a bit more than our original idea of 16, but what can you do. So with those 25, added to the 20 or so that we have at this moment (THIS moment) we have 44. (Ask me this afternoon and we should have 41.) Off to the fields for a leisurely day of gardening and processing. :)